Friday, September 25, 2009

So...I don't even know where to start...what do you say when your amazingly, loving, wonderful puppy dies? I had no idea it would hurt so bad.
Xena has been unwell for a while now. Dan took her to the vet a few weeks ago and has been corresponding almost daily with him. We found out she had cancer...a big old mass on her spleen. And he said that it probably wasn't long now. She was having such a hard time walking, having no strength, so the doctor gave her prednizone. It helped except for the bleeding coming out of her nose. Everytime she ate or drank, she bled. So we would hold her dish up so she wouldn't have to bend down to eat. No good either. Then she became sick out the other end...it was getting bad but everyday, we were hopeful. The dr wasn't encouraged. He felt like the predinzone was prolonging the inevitable...and with things getting worse in other areas, suggested that we take her off half the medicine. Well after a day, we came out to see her and she could hardly get up to see her daddy. Dan tried to help her eat but she could hardly get her mouth around the food to eat it. Her back legs wouldn't work...and her hind end was swaying side to side with no support. She just laid back down and lay on me in the grass. It was the saddest thing. We just knew it was time. She was trying to walk for us. She was trying to stay "up" for us. And her poor front leg...the whole thing was swollen twice the size of the other one...and she was bleeding internally. I know...probably TMI...but it's MY blog.

Xena had to have been the most wonderful, coolest dog ever! She was a Rottweiler and everyone was scared of her for a minute. Until they realized how loving and sweet she was. You could see it in her eyes. And she was so expressive...she could give you a "bite me...you stink butt" look when she was mad at you..or there was the adoring, "I love you" look. Or the "oh my gosh! give me what you're eating" look! Her cute little eyebrown markings would go up and down, back and forth and back and forth, looking from one of us to the other. She would follow us from room to room and just hang out with us. Such a mellow, sweet spirit to have around! We watched her from 4 weeks old to her passing. What a blessing to have had her in our lives. She will be missed more than any dog EVER! (Okay, so I know that's not fair to say, but that's how I feel right now)



Photobucket

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

I'm so sorry you lost your dear Xena. I remember when Em was little she had been eating a snack at your house, walking around with it and Xena had gently taken the food out of her hand. Just one minute Em had a snack and the next minute Xena did. :) I've learned that little dogs do that too.

I know Xena was your dear friend and that she will be missed. Hang in there!

Suz